Saturday, November 13, 2010

When is a Marathon Too Pricey? New York, Las Vegas, Walt Disney World and Chicago Marathons.

Monday Marathon Mania is over, but what is left still standing is the hefty registration fee for the ING New York Marathon.

For 2011, the registration fee for U.S. residents residing in the 50 states or the District of Columbia and who are non-members of the New York Road Runners (NYRR) is a whopping $196!!!

And, don't forget the $11 application fee that is non-refundable regardless if your application was accepted or not.

For other registration fees and more registration info. on the ING New York Marathon, please click here.

Since I doubt the reg fee would go down in future years, if your heart is set on doing New York, I would try to get this one over and done with before the price heads up any higher.

I believe the ING NYC Marathon is the most expensive marathon.  The 2010 RnR Las Vegas Marathon and Half Marathon are at $145 / $145.  The 2011 Los Angeles Marathon is $145.  The 2011 Walt Disney World Marathon and Half Marathon are at $135 / $135.  And, the recent 2010 Chicago Marathon was $135.

I am feeling that New York is getting to be too pricey for me.

At what point is a marathon too pricey?

2 comments:

  1. Mae, two weeks ago, I would've probably agreed with your thought that $200 is too pricey for a marathon. After taking part in this year's ING NYC Marathon, I have to say it was worth every penny!

    I highly recommend that you enter the lottery for this race and experience it for yourself. You will see why this race and all of the associated events of the weekend make it so special. I can't explain it. You have to experience it for yourself.

    As for L.A. Marathon, the organizers have a lot to learn in how to put on a seamless event before they can justify charging $145 (plus $9.00 active.com fee) to registrants. I spent $65 just getting to and from the race, not to mention about 5 hours in travel time or waiting for buses or trains.

    Las Vegas? I'm sure RNR folks had to pay a pretty penny to get the Strip closed down for several hours. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks if the $145 fee was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @veggiecatt - Thanks for your comments.

    I got carried away during the Monday Marathon Mania and did applied for the lottery. I am not sure if I would keep applying if the prices climb even higher.

    Sometimes, I think the LA Marathon is charging that much because some of the pricier cities want more dough to let the marathon go thru as it will disrupt traffic and regular business.

    BTW, I did the RnR Las Vegas 1/2 last year, and it was the 1st year they closed The Strip. I got in for $90. I don't feel it's worth $145, which is why I am out of it, but good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete