|Me, frying around Mile 13 or Mile 14. Pic taken by Endorphin Dude.|
|A bunch of running crazies very happy we had finished. From right to left, me, Diane, Endorphin Dude, Ultra Woof, Mattsaurs, David and Chriss Bliss.|
- This was my 1st trail marathon. I generally prefer road events.
- Although most of the course was flat, the gravel kicked my behind. I don't own any trail running shoes, so I couldn't tell if it would have made a difference or not.
- The weather also changed quickly from cold and windy to very hot past the 12.25 mile turnaround. There was also no shade.
- I have the BMO Vancouver Marathon 2 weeks after this one, so I didn't want to messed things up for the event in Vancouver.
- Happy I finished and saw some familiar faces. Very happy I finished!
- Quarry Lakes Regional Park, Fremont, CA
- Initially, I jumped on this one because the course was flat. What I didn't expect until I was on the course was that the gravel made it way more challenging to run on.
- The only "hills" along the way were the descent and ascent underneath bridges where vehicles passed over from one side to the other side. There were quite a few of them along the way.
- The multiuse paths were not too crowded. I saw a few horses along the way. A few folks were walking their dogs. Once, I had to stop running because a dog decided to sniff me out.
- Windy and cold early on.
- Then, suddenly, it got very hot.
For this course next time, I'd shoot for a Half Marathon instead.