ZombieRunner Bay Trail 1/2 Marathon
Baylands Nature Preserve
Palo Alto, CA
December 19, 2010
|Palo Alto Baylands Nature Preserve, Palo Alto, CA.|
This event was some experience. By the time I finished, I felt like I did an agility event instead.
I went without my Garmin and didn't run with a camera. Weather.com listed 100% precipitation during parts of the event, and it was spot on. I am not ready to plunk down $$$s on another Garmin or another camera.
The following sums up how my event went:
- Snails crossing the trails - I had to slow down to avoid stepping on them.
- Cold - Brrr!!!
- Rain - Wet. Ugh!!!
- Wind gusts – At some points, trying to walk straight was a challenge; never mind trying to run.
- Puddles galore – It felt like I was doing tire drills without the tires but trying to avoid the puddles, and there were lots of puddles.
- Very slippery muddy sections – Nothing like slipping and sliding around each time my foot hits the ground. I am amazed I didn’t fall down and went splat in the mud.
The following were unique things I saw along the way:
- Palo Alto Municipal Golf Course - I kept thinking some errant golf ball was going to whack me as I went by.
- Palo Alto Airport - The commuter planes look great to me when they were sitting on the ground. But, it was a bit uneasy running when I had to run perpendicular across the runway where the planes came in for a landing or take off.
Overall, I am very happy I didn't slip along the muddy surfaces and fell into mud. I'll be even happier if I am not sick the day after this event.
|2010 ZombieRunner Bay Trail 5 Mile, 1/2 Marathon and Marathon bling.|
For the event course profile, click here.
Gun time: 3:03:27
Guestimate gross calories burned: 1,400
A big thanks to ZombieRunner, a trail running and hiking store in Palo Alto, CA, for the awesome goodie bags.
|Nibbles in the goodie bag, included a Bonk Breaker bar and a Clif gel.|
|A nice surprise in the goodie bag: a ZombieRunner cap.|
And, a BIG hand to the great volunteers who braved the cold and rain to support the event. It was cold enough running and wogging along during the event for the participants. I can't imagine what it was like for the volunteers who didn't move much during the event.